Nate ~ It's funny. Yesterday I got pulled over. In my distraction while driving, I hesitated and instead of braking, I went through a red light. The fine was about double what I was expecting it to be. My first thought was that I was glad the man who pulled me over was doing his job to keep people like me driving safer. The second thought was the one where my heart started breaking because I realized I just set our adoption back. What kind of future adoptive parent am I to leave my child in an orphanage longer than necessary because I was distracted? Would God really still let me become the father of two children from Ethiopia? Maybe He only provides the money for responsible people.
Okay, I know that's not true, but it still hurt that I was careless. However, I started thinking about the fact that God adopted me. However, He did all the "paperwork" before the creation of the world and completed the last payment almost 2,000 years before I was even born to need to be adopted. Not THAT is amazing love. I also remembered Psalm 103:14 that reminds us that God knows our frame and that we are dust. God, as a loving adoptive parent, doesn't expect perfection from me. He expects my best effort and He expects me to do everything I can, in His power, towards our adoption, but He doesn't expect me to be perfect.
I only hope that once we have brought our children home, I can love them in such a way that they too, may know that I want them to do their best at the things they do, but that I don't expect perfection from them any more than my adoptive Parent expects it from me. I also hope and pray that they can know the same love from God that I do and can have the same peace that I have come to know through His love.


No comments:
Post a Comment