Maya K asks questions. A lot of questions.
Even as I type those words, it seems to be a huge understatement.
We had a moment in the car the other day that really gave me a glimpse into what goes on in her mind and how frustrating it can be for her.
As we were driving down a country road, we saw a fire burning in someone's yard. I didn't see exactly what they were burning, but it was probably some brush or something along those lines. It was a pretty large fire with some big flames shooting up.
(These questions were all rapid fire with basically no pause between them.)
Maya K: "Mommy, why do some people.......? Is is okay for them to........? Why would they want........? Why is it so big? Will the people.......? What makes it look like......? I want to know.....? "Does it make smoke because......? (insert a longer pause) ........Mommy, I saw a fire."
This is what goes on in her little mind all the time!!!!! She literally has so many questions about every little things she sees or hears that she can't get all the questions out and they never stop coming.
This time, she ended with a simple statement. "Mommy, I saw a fire."
She couldn't get the questions to slow down to be able to sort out what she really even wanted to ask me.
I don't know if I could handle that much going on in my brain all the time. It's exhausting to me to try to keep up with her questions and know which ones to answer. But she has to process all those questions. I don't envy her!!!!!!
Even as I type those words, it seems to be a huge understatement.
We had a moment in the car the other day that really gave me a glimpse into what goes on in her mind and how frustrating it can be for her.
As we were driving down a country road, we saw a fire burning in someone's yard. I didn't see exactly what they were burning, but it was probably some brush or something along those lines. It was a pretty large fire with some big flames shooting up.
(These questions were all rapid fire with basically no pause between them.)
Maya K: "Mommy, why do some people.......? Is is okay for them to........? Why would they want........? Why is it so big? Will the people.......? What makes it look like......? I want to know.....? "Does it make smoke because......? (insert a longer pause) ........Mommy, I saw a fire."
This is what goes on in her little mind all the time!!!!! She literally has so many questions about every little things she sees or hears that she can't get all the questions out and they never stop coming.
This time, she ended with a simple statement. "Mommy, I saw a fire."
She couldn't get the questions to slow down to be able to sort out what she really even wanted to ask me.
I don't know if I could handle that much going on in my brain all the time. It's exhausting to me to try to keep up with her questions and know which ones to answer. But she has to process all those questions. I don't envy her!!!!!!


This reminds me of a line in a Dr. Seuss book, "I don't know...go ask your Dad!" When one of our children asks me a ? I don't know, I quite often tell them to ask their Daddy. He has a wealth of knowledge--the Lord has granted him the gift of "knowledge retention"--and that is one of the things that drew me to him.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, if it's something I can search for online (Google image search was used this AM to teach E what an "antelope" was!), then I do that.
I <3 learning WITH my children, and yes, it can be exhausting! Oh, but when they grasp a new concept, what a joy it is that either I or my husband had the privilege of teaching them! :)