Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, May 2, 2014

Hair Day

Saturday is our "normal" day to do Maya K's hair, but if we have things going on Saturday, I will try to do it on Friday. This is one of those weeks :-).

I only shampoo Maya K's hair every 4 or 5 weeks. This happens to be a week that it needs to be shampoo washed, so that adds an extra step to the process.

I decided to write down times to give you an average for the length of time each step takes. I don't normally keep track :-).

Here is what her hair looks like before we get started.


I start by getting her hair completely soaked and then work the shampoo through the curls down to her scalp. I try to not rub the hair too much to prevent breakage. Then I rinse it all out. (This took 7 minutes.)


The next step is the most time consuming and results in the most complaints and whining from Maya K (keeping it real!!!). I work huge HANDFULS of conditioner into her hair. I do it a section at a time and probably use 8-10 handfuls. Then I use my fingers to detangle the curls (again, a section at a time). I usually end up with quite a bit of hair on my fingers that I throw in the trash. Then I add a little more conditioner and use a pick to comb through her hair more thoroughly. She despises this part of hair day!!!!! (This step took 15 minutes.) Here is her hair fully conditioned and detangled.


I leave the conditioner soaking in her hair while I wash her body. This is the easiest part of hair day :-). (2 minutes.) No photo.

After she plays in the tub for a while (today was 30 minutes), I drain the water and begin rinsing the conditioner out of her hair. Here is her hair after the conditioner has been rinsed out. (5 minutes)


Then I work a leave-in conditioner into her hair and use my fingers to pull it through the curls. (4 minutes) I pulled a piece down so you could see how LONG it actually is!!!!


It's finally time to get out of the tub, lotion her body, and get her dressed :-). (Btw - Absolutely NO towel drying of this hair is ever allowed!!!!) (9 minutes)

Today I'm going to put her hair into two-strand twists. They are simple and easy and don't take very long for me to do. She is sitting on her chair in front of the TV and I've got my tray table of supplies next to her.



It's hard for me to take pictures during the hair styling process because my hands are covered in hair product. But I tried to take a couple today :-).




I ended up doing something different than planned with her hair. I've been experimenting with things to do with the front and top of her hair when I do two-strand twists in the back. I like how the top turned out, but then it didn't look like I planned in the back. So I pulled all the twists up into a ponytail and then put barrettes on the ends :-). It's growing on me!!!



Styling her hair took  51 minutes today.

She got in the bathtub at 10:18 this morning and I finished her hair at 12:24 :-). It was a pretty quick hair day!!!! I like those :-).

1 comment:

  1. While detangling I do in sections and twist or braid the section when finished! And rinse while braided or twisted too...I find it keeps from tangling back up so fast when doing this :)

    ReplyDelete