I had heard about this special day last year, but didn't hear about it until the DAY OF so I didn't participate. And then it crept up on my again this year and I didn't remember until the day before!!!! So I quickly did some research, "checked in" with my school administrator for permission, printed up info to post on the front door of the school, "talked it up" with my associate teacher, and set out on my own personal adventure of a "Day Without Shoes."
(If you want more specific info about this special day, click HERE to go to the "official" webpage. My purpose in this post is to share MY day with you.)
The commitment that I made was to spend one day without wearing any shoes (or socks). I was not going to "veer" from my regular schedule, but I wanted to have the opportunity to share with my co-workers, students and students' parents about the need there is world-wide for shoes. There are people all over the world who are unable to go to school or work jobs, and who often contract one or more of the many diseases which are "caused" by bare feet.
Our weather has been unseasonably warm for most of the winter and Spring came early. However, Tuesday morning was a cool 30* when I left home. The quick walk to my carpool friend parked on my driveway was easy. The drive to school left my feet cold (draft from the car door). The walk over the gravel and COLD cement sidewalk was a little rough. And so my day began.
I had forewarned my students' parents via e-mail that I was going to be shoe-less on Tuesday, so a few of my students came into class knowing that Mrs. Maxwell was going to be barefoot, but for the students who didn't know, it was something of a shock.
We had a very good discussion about WHY Mrs. Maxwell (and Mrs. Kaldenberg, my associate) were not wearing any shoes. Four and five-year-olds often "get it" more quickly than many grown-ups that I know. I shared with them that there are many boys and girls around the world who are living without ANY shoes and how we need to be praying for them and be THANKFUL for the many pairs of shoes that God has allowed us to have. We need to be thinking of things we can do to help boys and girls around us who do not have as much as we do, and we need to NOT COMPLAIN about what we don't have.
I have shared bits and pieces about the fact that Mr. Maxwell and I are going to be adopting one or two children to come be OUR kids and that we will be their mommy and daddy to love them forever. I shared with them that my child/ren might have lived for a while without any shoes, and I saw tears in some of my students' eyes. They "get it". And when one of my students was praying for snack, he prayed "God, take care of Mrs. Maxwell's kids, and help them not be cold or scared until she can go get them." Bring on the tears!!!!!!!
So, bringing awareness to others was one reason that I chose to not wear any shoes.
The second reason, and really the biggest reason for me, that I chose to not wear shoes was to give me a physical reminder to be in prayer for MY child/ren. Every time I took a step that hurt, or my feet were cold, or a child stepped on my foot, or my ankles ached from no support, I remembered to pray for my child/ren. It was an incredible day :-).
I posted on Facebook and had a few friends who took the journey with me.
Tonya
Gretchen
Kristi
Karen
Heidi, Greg, Esther, Jenna, and Chloe
Grandma





What a great way to make something concrete!
ReplyDeleteOh, and that prayer! Immediate tears!
Love you.