I will never forget that day when I rescued Louie...the steamy, hot swamp, the muggy smell of swamp water, and the occasional sight of "gator bumps" gliding silently ahead of me. Suddenly, a small green object came into sight. As I drew closer, I recognized it as a baby alligator. But, something was not right. Instead of crawling around on land or swimming in the swamp, it was lying on its back with its legs in the air. Suddenly, I saw a HUGE gator heading for the baby alligator. If I did nothing, the baby gator's days (rather, minutes) would be numbered. I paddled as hard as I could toward the baby gator. The big alligator was approaching at full speed! Would I get there in time? Just as the HUGE alligator lunged for the baby gator, I swept the baby gator up and into the canoe. The splash of the HUGE alligator as it landed where the baby gator had been just seconds before almost filled my canoe. I paddled furiously to put as much distance between me and the angry alligator as I could. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about what could have been a tragedy. I am so happy that Louie has a home and is safe at last!
~from Bob Schultz


No comments:
Post a Comment